Sometimes being a parent seems like one long to-do list: taking the children to and from school and clubs, arranging babysitters, feeding them and putting them to bed. Parents can feel trapped in a straitjacket of tasks, all of which prevent them from spending quality time with their children. Susan Bögels has developed and delivered training on this subject for over twenty years. Now, for the first time, she shares her expertise, along with her experiences as a mother and child, with a general audience. In a series of accessible chapters, she shows how we can find a balance between “doing” and “being” modes when interacting with our children. She also explains how to deal with stress, conflict and guilt, and how to cultivate conscious, unbiased attention in a simple way. Together, the chapters form an 11-week course in mindful parenting, supported by simple exercises and guided audio meditations.
Mindful Parenting is an inspirational guide for busy parents who want to better understand the automatic ways in which they can react to stressful situations, balance the ‘doing’ and ‘being’ modes in their everyday lives, and move from instinctive to more mindful responses.
Publisher: Pavilion Publishing and Media Ltd
Publication date: 14 February 2020
Table of Contents
1. Mindful parenting: Being there without prejudice or judgment
2. Being your own parent: Self-care and compassion
3. Parental stress: From surviving to finding breathing space
4. Parental expectations and the true nature of the child
5. Rupture and repair: Deepening the bond
6. Parenting together in good times and bad
7. Setting boundaries: Where I end and you begin
8. Guilt and shame: Forgiving, connecting, apologizing
9. Love is blind: Denial and acceptance
10. Schemas: Re-experiencing your own childhood
11. Lifelong parenting
Appendix 1: 11 everyday rules for mindful parenting
Appendix 2: Guided audio meditations
This publication will benefit parents, prospective parents, step-parents, foster parents, grandparents and caregivers of all kinds seeking to learn more about mindfulness and how it can be applied to parenting in order to stay in control and respond thoughtfully to stressful situations. Health, mental health and family practitioners who help individuals and couples with parenting skills. Trainees on courses given by the author and others.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.