Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) offers a complete introduction to this complex and often confusing topic. A lack of clarity can arise for many reasons, including the broad spectrum of characteristics and symptoms that can be represented within an ASD diagnosis ranging from the very severe, to the mild, and the many competing interventions and treatments.
The book explains how parents, carers and teachers can collaborate to ensure that young autistic people can live inclusive and fulfilled lives.
Autism Spectrum Disorder: How to Help will be useful for parents and carers of children and young people living with autism; teachers, teaching assistants, educational psychologists, school senior management teams and other education professionals; support groups; youth workers, group leaders and others interested in the socio-emotional development of young people.
Publisher: Pavilion Publishing and Media Ltd
Publication Date: September 2022
Part 1: Introduction
1. What is Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?
2. A brief history of autism
3. Causes and consequences
4. The challenges of autism – Individual, educational and society
5. The challenges of autism – Parents and caregivers; Ten key things to know about autism
Part 2: Identifying autism
6. Screening and observation
7. Tests and strategies
8. Issues around autism
9. Overlap and comorbidity
Part 3: Living and learning with autism
10. Autism at home
11. Autism at school
12. Provision for children with ASD
13. Curriculum issues
14. The autistic child as a learner
Part 4: Dealing with autism
15. Behavioural approaches
16. Behaviour management
18. Neuro and physiological approaches – Applied Behaviour Analysis
19. Other interventions
Part 5: Beyond school
20. Autism as a label – is it useful?
21. Autism as a gift and high-achieving children
22. Autism at college and university
21. Autism in the workplace
Part 6: Conclusion
27. Summary; 28. A last word to parents and carers;
29. A last word to teachers and schools
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.