The core of this book was created by Jody Mardula over several years following a life-threatening stroke. At the time, Jody was Director of a world-renowned mindfulness centre at Bangor University. The stroke – along with a second two years later and a subsequent diagnosis of vascular dementia – affected Jody both psychologically and physically.
In Mindfulness and Stroke, she charts her journey from the day of her first stroke, and explains how she adapted short, easy-to-learn mindfulness practices in order to support herself, manage the impact of her injury and make sense of her situation. Jody’s text is enhanced by clinical neuropsychologist Frances Vaughan, whose ‘Neuro Notes’ explain the events being described in each section of Jody’s writing. Frances also contributes Section Two of the book – ten chapters looking more broadly at brain injury and its impact on areas of life such as attention, memory, self-awareness and identity.
Publisher: Pavilion Publishing and Media Ltd
Publication date: January 2020
Table of Contents
SECTION ONE (JODY MARDULA)
PART ONE: TSUNAMI IN MY BRAIN
- The Beginning and the End; 2. Leaving the Hospital and Coming Home; 3. There is a Crack in Everything; 4. That’s Where the Light Gets In
PART TWO: CANNOT GO THAT WAY
- Over the Bridge; 6. Leave Everything You Know Behind; 7. The Way Lies Over the Mountains; 8. Living in the View from My Window
PART THREE: OVER THE MOUNTAINS
- The Cup: Building Support; 10. Back to Work and Cognitive Testing; 11. Living in My Brain; 12. When Getting Better is Getting Worse
PART FOUR: DOWN INTO A NEW WORLD
- Lightning Does Strike Twice; 14. The Landscape Changes; 15. Edge of the Woods; 16. Hum in the Woods
PART FIVE: INTO THE WOODS
- Further into the Woods; 18. Wolves in the Woods; 19. Out of the Woods and Building a Camp; 20. Paths that Close and Open
PART SIX: IN THE CAMP
- Falling Mind; 22. Perception; 23. The Trouble with Travelling; 24. And Change Goes Ever On and On
PART SEVEN: LEAVING THE CAMP
- Memory Clinic and Tattoo; 26. The Unseen Wounds of Brain Injury; 27. A New Story to be Leaved and Breathed; 28. Return to the Beginning
SECTION TWO (FRANCES VAUGHAN)
1. Introduction; 2. Attention; 3. Memory; 4. Planning and Organisation; Perception; 6. Loss and Grief; 7. Self-Awareness; 8. Identity; 9. Acceptance; 10. Families
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.