Within this pack you should find everything
needed to deliver individual training sessions or, combined, as a half or full
day training course. The Supporting People with Learning Disabilities and Dementia pack aims to:
- equip staff and volunteers with the confidence
and knowledge to provide a high quality of support that is appropriate to each
person with a learning disability and dementia
- support staff and volunteers to reflect upon,
and develop, the provision of care based on the experiences, context and
preferred outcomes for each person with a learning disability and dementia
- provide materials, information and points for
discussion that will support ongoing learning and development.
The main objective of the pack is to promote holistic support that will
maintain the abilities of the individual and provide them with services that
meet their needs. It is important that people with a learning disability and
- have choice and control over the support and
services they receive, now and in the future
- maintain meaningful and supportive
relationships with family, friends and the wider community
- remain in their own accommodation, if
appropriate and desired.
Included in the pack are four resources:
1) The trainer guidelines, including the Powerpoints, resources and handouts needed to run the training.
2) Supporting People with Learning Disabilities and Dementia: A self-study
guide for support staff and carers for trainers to refer to.Each section in the guide is structured around
one of ten topic areas, ranging from background information about dementia and
learning disability to end-of-life planning. Each topic area will prompt
thinking about practice and development of skills, promoting changes to support
which are focused around each individual, rather than expecting the individual
to fit the service. The self-study guide can be used as a standalone resource
and is available to purchase separately from the training pack for trainees who
would like a self-study resource to refer to after the training.
3) Supporting People with Learning Disabilities and
Dementia: A practice development guide for support staff and allied health
professionals. The practice development guide provides an overview of content from the
self-study guide and the trainer guidelines. It can be provided to learners at the training
sessions to supplement the training materials and is available to download.
4) An online link to the 'Supporting Derek' film.